A Wedding Planning Update + Wedding Planning Tips
- Friday, 11 January 2013
Hello my bumble bees and butterflies!
It's almost 7AM right now. It's been a few days since I've been back and I have been experiencing immense jet lag! I made myself pull an allnighter so I can storm through the day and I can tire myself out around 7pm. It failed and I ended up falling asleep at 2PM and waking up at midnight. I forced myself to sleep again and ended up waking up at 3AM. At least I'm waking up early in the morning and not late afternoon right?
Remember my old bedroom from Northern Ireland? Man, my hair is getting looooong.
I actually woke up between 5-7am EVERYDAY when I was back home in the UK. I land in Hong Kong and BOOM, I been waking up 4-6pm which is not good. This country is cursed lol. I want to wake up early and be productive during the day.
I just uploaded a new nail tutorial "French Tuxedo Nails" and now I'm indulging my tuna sandwich and green tea. Ahh, feels nice to be back in my own apartment. After experiencing the immense coldness in UK, weather here in Hong Kong seems like T-Shirt weather. So I went back to Northern Ireland to spend Christmas with my family of course but also to do some Wedding planning. I've got a lot sorted out (or so I'd like to think).
If you guys haven't checked out my latest vlog, you can check it out below. Tim and I went to see our Wedding Venue for the first time and vlogged it so you guys can experience the excitement with us.
I'm so excited now!!!
The venue is everything we wanted and more. Bright, modern and perfect for our intimate wedding. It's surrounded by beautiful grasslands too so it'll be so pretty during the Summer. Choosing our venue over the internet was TOUGH because obviously we wanted to see the place in real life but we were all the way in Hong Kong. Seeing the venue in real life really put our hearts at ease and actually made us even more excited because now everything seems real. I can't believe the wedding is in less than 8 months now. That is scary biscuits.
As much as I want to scream and tell you guys about everything, I still want the Wedding to be a surprise for all of you so I really can't expose too much. Back in Northern Ireland, I sorted out our centerpieces, bouquets, balloons, wedding cake and decorations, hair trials. People keep telling me that wedding planning is crazy stressful but so far, things have been manageable (fingers crossed). Now that we're back in Hong Kong, the next thing to sort out are invitations.
Some tips from my wedding planning experience are as follows:
1. Make a mood board. This helps you get an overall picture of how your wedding is going to look and if everything is going to match. It helps you get a better idea of your colour scheme too. Don't just stick everything in. Be specific about your board. On my board, there's me in my dress and there's also the bridesmaid dress I picked. There's also the bouquets, balloons, venue and stuff.
2. When you're trying on your dress or even having a hair trial, make sure you have your makeup done. It just gives you a better picture of how you will look for your big day. Speaking of hair trial, having a picture with you will give the hair stylist a better idea of what you're looking for. Please don't feel like your hairstyle will be limited if you have short hair. That's what hair extensions are for.
3. Speaking of trying your dress, bring heels with you and also a flattering bra. A good bra will make you fit 'better' into your dress which helps to create balance.
4. When you're deciding your flowers, remember some flowers will not be in season for the day of your wedding. For example, I was heartbroken when the florist told me I can't have peonies for my August wedding sob sob. No worries though because they will try their best to give you the closest alternative they have.
5. THE website I visit for wedding inspiration is PINTEREST. It has wonderful cake, hair, reception and wedding inspiration.
6. Before you plan everything, set your wedding date first. That's your number one priority.
7. Don't try to do everything yourself (I have to admit, this step is hard for me since I've always been taught to rely on myself =_=). Assign jobs for your bridesmaids. If you're having difficulty, get your maid of honour/chief bridesmaid to pass on the orders. Thanks Jessica for the tip =D. I will be taking advantage of this lol.
8. When you're getting this and that sorted out, suddenly all the costs will add up and it will scare you a little. It can be overwhelming so make sure you budget things well. Make a list of all your purchases to keep record for tracking. Decide things you would splurge on and the things you are are willing to spend less on. For example, I decided to spend less for my dress so I can splurge on the photography.
Mmm... that's really it so far lol. The bottom line is to just enjoy every moment of it no matter how stressful it gets. It's your wedding =)
I'm going to be doing my own makeup for the day and as for the bridesmaids, we're going to do a makeup session together a few days prior to the big day so the girls know how they can apply their makeup. Figured that will be fun to do too hehe. They will be getting their hair styled though by hair stylists.
Oh no, I'm feeling sleepy already and it's only 9.15AM =_=. I've been out every single day when I was back in Northern Ireland so I feel like I just want to stay home for the whole day but gotta go grocery shopping in a bit hehe.
Oh, guess who was in the 17 magazine? Thank you so much to 17 magazine for featuring little me. They asked me to create a very natural wearable everyday look for the girls. I got a lot of messages and tweets from you guys alerting me this. Thank you so so much for the love. I'm representing Hong Kong but I'm actually British lol. Ah well, it's good to represent my culture too ^_^. I am living in Hong Kong too anyways.
Almost forgot to show you guys our Save The Date picture. Our photography agency sent us back some finalised pictures and I have to say, I was quite disappointed with them. It seems like we were over edited. I always thought we would look better photoshopped but it was probably too extreme? They set the brightness too high as well.
Some of you asked if we will be broadcasting the wedding. We're still thinking about it. We could broadcast the ceremony maybe? Need to figure out how it can be done. Nonetheless, roll on 11th August babyyy!
If you have any wedding questions or suggestions, please comment below!! <3
HAPPY WEEKEND! Stay safe everyone.
Much love, Bubz xx